Blithewood Garden

Taken soon after the transfer of the Blithewood Estate to Bard College in 1951, this photograph by Charles Eggert depicts the garden with the formal shrubbery intended in the original 1903 Hoppin & Koen plan commissioned by Mrs. Andrew C. Zabriskie

The sculpture was created as part of Bassler's senior project at Bard College, and at the time replaced an earlier floral fountain that had fallen into disrepair. "Seclusion" was removed from Blithewood during its restoration in the early 1990s. She…