Romanticism in the Hudson Valley
- Edmund Burke, A Philosophical Enquiry of Our Ideas of the Sublime and Beautiful, as quoted in David Schuyler, Sanctified Landscape, pp. 75.
- Avery, Kevin J. “Maya on the Hudson: Frederic Church’s Cayambe and the ‘Folly’ of Cruger’s Island.” Paper presented at Revisiting the Hudson: Nineteenth Century Landscape Painting in Context, New Paltz, NY, November 7, 2009.
- “Uxmal-on-Hudson: Mayan Ruins on Cruger’s Island in the 19th Century.” Bard College Archives & Special Collections. http://www.bard.edu/archives/voices.php
Andrew Jackson Downing
- Schuyler, David. Apostle of Taste. Baltimore, MD: The John Hopkins University Press, 1996. pp 37-51.
- Schuyler, David. Sanctified Landscape. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 2012. pp 80.
- Downing, Andrew Jackson. A Treatise on the Theory and Practice of Landscape Gardening. 1841. Reprint, New York: Orange Judd Company, 1977. passim
- Allcott, John V. “Robert Donaldson, the First North Carolinian to Become Prominent in the Arts.” North Carolina Historical Review. Oct 1975, Vol. 52 Issue 4, p 333-366. 34p.
- Anderson, Jean Bradley. Carolinian on the Hudson: The Life of Robert Donaldson. Raleigh, NC: Historic Preservation Foundation of North Carolina, 1996. passim
- Jenrette, Richard H. Adventures With Old Houses. Layton, UT: Wyrick & Company, 2005. pp 98.
The Livingston/Donaldson Partnership
Anderson, Jean Bradley. Carolinian on the Hudson: The Life of Robert Donaldson. Raleigh, NC: Historic Preservation Foundation of North Carolina, 1996. passim
Harrar, Bessina. Blithewood: A History of Place. NP: Bluebird Press, 2009. pp. 32-33.
- Piwonka, Ruth. The Landscape Art of Montgomery Livingston (1816-1855): a Catalogue of His Works. Kinderhook, NY: Columbia County Historical Society, 1980.
Other Works Referenced
- Preservation Master Plan for Bard College, Annandale-on-Hudson, New York. Report prepared by John Milner Associates for Bard College, December 2008.